Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why reinvent the wheel when you can Retweet it? The Value of Twitter for todays teachers.


I never understood the purpose of Twitter before a couple weeks ago. My husband has always been a huge advocate of Twitter, but I found it difficult to navigate and rarely logged into my account. When we started working with Twitter in the spring of 2015, I began to realize its educational potential. As a social studies teacher in a small school, I am always hungry for resources. Twitter provides avenues for teachers to communicate and exchange ideas. 

Navigating Twitter has become easier, now that I know hash tags that produce the best results. For me #edchat, or @edutopia have provided the best results for overall education tips. If I specifically want to research social studies topics, #sschat has also given me some very helpful resources that I can use when teaching my students. 

One benefit of twitter that I haven't utilized is using Twitter to set up a mystery Skype. I think my students would really enjoy the challenge of trying to determine our Skype partners location using google maps, and it could be something that would really enhance their geography skills.  In the past couple weeks I have learned that twitter has a variety of uses, far beyond social networking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment