Monday, February 23, 2015

Textbooks- Backpacks are getting lighter

For years, many wonderful teachers have used textbooks as the primary resource within the classroom. For a number of reasons, those classrooms are becoming harder and harder to find. Ipads and other tablets are replacing textbooks because of the versatility of tablets versus the textbook. Tablets provide more resources; they give student’s instant feedback, and provide a variety of other opportunities to the young users. 

I asked a fellow teacher this past week on what her thoughts are on substituting tablets for textbooks. I was disappointed that she believed it would be too much of a headache to manage within our school. While I don't believe fiscally it is possible to for our school right now, I would like to see this as something we would start to transition towards as a district. One to one computer/student pairing would open so many doors for what I could do within my classroom. Even though it may not be possible right now, I know in my heart that in the next ten years, each student will be provided a tablet in replacement for a textbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment